Monday, June 9, 2008

Tuesday Musings #8

Who was the last person you prank called? What did you say?

I've been thinking about this for well over 24 hours now and I honestly can't remember. I hope you'll all forgive me but I'm going to have to go with the most memorable prank instead. It wasn't original and it wasn't funny. It was just plain dumb.

I was in the fourth grade and my teacher was Mrs. Hutchinson (I think). Even if I am not 100% sure about her name I can remember her. She was everything you would imagine a fourth grade teacher to be. She was in her 50's or 60's with straight, chin length graying hair. She always wore the latest in aging hippie wear right down to the over sized bead necklaces and orthopedic sandals. She was very nice and had one of those voices that could always soothe the troubled child (except when you didn't do your homework which was most days for me).

I remember her teaching us songs for all the holidays. I think my love of Halloween blossomed when she taught us the words to The Cat Came Back. What she didn't teach us was that when you try to prank someone the rag over the receiver never works like it does in the spy movie of old.

So, there we are, me and some equally dumb siblings and/or friends, I'm a little fuzzy on who was there. I someone, possible me, suggests that we call our teachers. I'm up first. She answers. I say with confidence (because the rag is disguising my voice and all), "Is this Mrs. Hutchinson?" To which she replies, "Claire Chadwick, is that you?" I then hung up, absolutely mortified and swore off prank phone calls which I'm sure lasted at least a week.

To this day I believe that prank phone call is the reason she failed me in vocabulary.

No comments: