Friday, May 23, 2008

How I Know I'm a Crappy Mother (Part I of Many)

I don't know what prompted it but for the last few days Theo has responded to my 'I love you's with, "I don't love you." I don't know if he thought he was being funny or if he is just being contradictory because he is 2 but I do know I wasn't expecting this until puberty.

Well, today he finally decided to elaborate on his newly found dislike of his mother. After I told him I loved him, he informed me, "I don't love you. You are a monster mommy." Great, not only does my child not like me but now I am a monster. I haven't even grounded you yet, kid!!
Update: Theo spent a couple minutes this morning saying, "I don't love you, mommy. Just daddy. I love daddy and not you. I don't love you. I just love daddy..."

3 comments:

Peggy said...

jack says the same thing to me ALL the time!!! Once (well, one of many times) I was giving him kisses and he pulled away and said, "Mom--you can't kiss me all day!" hmmm...

AES said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AES said...

Really, Claire, what did you expect when you replaced him with Mr. Cute? DADDY didn't bring another baby home from the hospital. DADDY doesn't spend all day feeding him.

The good and the bad news is, it will go away for a while sometime between now and puberty, when it will come back with the lovely addition of thinking you are terribly stupid joined by eye rolls and loud sighs to punctuate that fact.